Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My Deepest Fear: ME

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” ~Marriane Williamson


Disclaimer: I in no way want to assume to purport that everyone reading this message is a Christian or a believer, but this one is especially for those that are.



When we are children, generally, we are given gender specific options about who and what we can be when we grow up. I knew early on that I wanted to be a “Psychologist.” For some of us, the road to our destiny is not always very clear. I’m sure some of you reading this majored in Psychology because it’s the considered to be the closest thing to a non-major that you can get! Or you are working on a job that ….well….is paying the bills. My take on a career is that not only should it be an extension of you, but it must also be in line with the God has planned for you. Many of us work tirelessly day in and day out at a job that we might like but my question is….is it your purpose? We ask God for promotions and status elevations on our jobs but rarely consult him on if this is even the job we should be doing in the first place. So I ask…how can he bless you where you are if you aren’t where he wants you to be?

I know what you are thinking…”Coach, what does my job have to do with God? I help children, or I care for the elderly, or I work for non-profit organization!” However noble and admired your position may be… I am suggesting that you consider that it may not be the position for you. Often we shy away from the gifts that God gives us and instead pursue secondary talents for fear of working at our highest capacity. What does that mean? What we assign ourselves is usually within the can do range, but what God assigns us often appears to be impossible for the sole purpose of growing our faith. Who among you can admit that while you crunch your numbers, and make good money doing it, in the back of your mind you know you should be starting your own wedding planner business (or you fill in the blank). God shows us our assignments through our talents, the things that come most easy to us, the things that we could do even if we were never paid for it. It is up to us to use those in a way that our lives and the lives of those around us can be enriched.

As I stated earlier, I knew I wanted to be a Therapist….it’s just what I do, I can’t even help it! While saving the world one person at a time is noble, it is not the only thing that I was assigned to do. As a child, I also knew I loved to write, but because of a learning disability that went undiagnosed, I believed that I was incapable a producing something that people would even be able to understand. Simply put, I thought I was too dumb to write. So I settled with my secondary talent….helping people. It wasn’t until recently that I realized the very thing I’m hiding from is the only thing that can save me. I would say to myself how silly of you to think that you have anything important to say. No one cares about your opinion, you ain’t Dr. Phill! You will never be recognized for anything you do because you can’t even spell! The very thought of doing what I loved the most stressed me out and felt totally inconceivable! Thankfully, God has this funny little way of making EVERYTHING else around you stop until you do what he has asked you to do. And therein lies the birth of this blog.

I’m sure most of you are familiar with the movie Akeelah and the Bee. More specifically, you will recall the scene when Akeelah is being challenged by Lawrence Fishburne’s character, and he asks her to read the very powerfull poem he has displayed in his office by Marianne Williamson. This poem continues to be one of my favorites and has resonated with me ever since I first heard it! Daring to be the “you” that HE created can be very scary….trust me I know. Functioning at your fullest capacity can be a daunting thought. So many expectations….and what if you fail!?!? Don’t be afraid of who you are. Devote your time to your true talents and real success is sure to follow!

Advice Corner:
• Decipher your talents, and your dreams
• Consult God about the direction you should go
• Don’t ignore the answer once you get it
• Be ready for a wild ride!!!

Be Blessed~ If you have a burning question or need some sensible, sound advice, go to http://www.coachjessica.webs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment